In the Spotlight: Administration and Business Office

The Spring Semester continues to be a great one, as the Union bustles with student meetings, studying, hanging out, and trying to stay warm and dry from all the rain.

Read more

Read up on our great teams from the Administration and Business Office on how they help us succeed, plus get other highlights from life at the Carolina Union!

Daisy Reflects on Her Admin Days

Daisy Hensley, a senior who has worked in the Administration office for three years, shared what she will miss the most about working at the Carolina Union after graduation. May is just around the corner! We’ll miss you too, Daisy!

Read more

Working at the Union has provided me with invaluable experiences in both professional and social settings. As an Administrative Assistant, I have learned how to communicate with diverse groups of people, work on a team, and I have developed various other clerical skills. Along with these skills, as a Lead, I have learned how to complete special projects, work in a fast-paced environment, and manage a small team. Socially, I have gained perspectives by working with various types of people and communicate with them based on their needs.

As I have worked at the Union for almost three years, I believe that I will miss the positive environment that is fostered in the workplace, and the opportunities that my positions have provided me. Not only have I developed professionally in areas of leadership and communication, but I have also been fortunate to work with an amazing team in my department. I have enjoyed working with my team in Admin and will forever value the memories I have made with them!

Multi-talented and Multilingual

The Carolina Union Business Office consists of dedicated professionals (Amber Ali, Charu Gunachandran, Hala Hanna, Yolanda Jefferson, and Haydee Marchese) with a broad range of financial expertise and experience. We appreciate the great work they do supporting the Student Affairs Division, Union departments, student organizations and student leaders.

Read more

So we know they have expertise in financial services including reimbursements, travel requests, P-Cards, awards, purchase requisitions, purchase orders, inter-departmental transactions and reconciliations, but let’s not overlook their multilingual talents as well! Collectively, their team is fluent in five languages, in addition to English: Hindi, Tamil, Urdu, Arabic, and Spanish!

Our Newest U.S. Citizen!

And speaking of our multicultural Business Office team, let’s break out a star spangled banner and wave it for Charu Gunachandran, who recently became a U.S. citizen! Congratulations, Charu! The Carolina Union is lucky to have you!

Thai-me to Bond!

The Administration Team recently held a meeting at Cham Thai in Carrboro where they discussed their accomplishments from the fall semester and changes to implement in the spring. It’s nice to catch up as a team and learn more things about coworkers. The team also bonded over their experiences while working at The Carolina Union.

Brittany Goes Above and Beyond!

Senior Brittany Wiafe has dedicated three years to making the Chancellor’s Awards Ceremony run smoothly. Her supervisor, Marissa Rosales, praised her dedication and commitment to managing this important event. Read what Marissa had to say!

Read more

I am so thankful for the three years that Brittany has dedicated her time to the Chancellor’s Awards Committee. An awards ceremony has so many key components that it takes months to organize, I am so very thankful for her commitment! The event process begins and ends with her managing all the recipient forms, emails, award orders, nominations, and the award tracking database. She also serves as a liaison to over 50 department awards and creates all the award letters and event scripts for the Chancellor to review and sign. Brittany went above and beyond the last few months of her Senior year to compile a brand new training guide for this role and is currently training another student who we’ve elected for the position. A million thanks to Brittany!

Student Organization Highlights

Congratulations to the Black Student Movement (BSM) for hosting an amazing Black History Month Kickoff in the West Lounge. This is one of many events hosted by BSM and organizations across campus to celebrate this important month! Check the top of our Twitter page for the full rundown (@carolinaunion)!

Off To England!

Student Employee Kacey Johnson recently got accepted to an internship in London for two months this summer furthering her skills in Public Relations and Advertising. We are so proud of her! Bring back some tea and biscuits, please!

Incoming!

Be on the lookout for the following big events in and around the Union!

Click Here for VIP Events