Join Leadership Week!

Leadership Week is underway, with lots of great seminars and speakers lined up! Please encourage students to join, and all programs are open to faculty/staff as well so sign up if you see something that interests you! Search “Leadership Week” on HeelLife for details.

Celebrate a Safe Halloween

Halloween celebrations are a great tradition at UNC, so let’s help students stay safe and practice distancing while having some fun this year.

The Carolina Union Activities Board will be hosting a week of Halloween-themed events with fun activities and giveaways, please help spread the word! Events will include a virtual escape room, social media costume contests, and a live DJ! Visit CUAB’s Facebook page for details! https://www.facebook.com/UNCcuab

.

.

.

.

.

.

Jubilee Draws a Virtual Crowd

Speaking of CUAB, we mentioned their successful Jubilee in our last edition. We wanted to share a few details about all the work  the group and advisor Sarah Levine put into pulling off the first-ever virtual Jubilee last month. Jubilee, which is traditionally held in the spring, came together through lots of perseverance and commitment to giving the 2020 senior class their Jubilee concert.

Planning for this event dates back  to October 2019, when it was assumed the show would be performed in-person. Last fall, CUAB started discussions with the performing artists and planned  for the typical live performance on campus. When students were sent home last March, CUAB kept working to make sure that the show would go on, even if the circumstances were unprecedented.

Partnering with a creative production company in Florida, CUAB was able to create a watch portal that was accessible only to UNC students by logging into HeelLife. In total, 917 students logged in to watch Rico Nasty and DaniLeigh — and that total does not count the significant number of small “watch parties” where small groups of friends gathered to watch.

“In terms of the actual number of people who viewed, we were way above the official number of logins, there is absolutely no doubts,” said CUAB President Sarah Bradley. “I watched from my couch and it was a good experience. The performers shouted out to CUAB and UNC so it was really special to get that recognition.”

Sarah Levine called the virtual Jubilee “a huge accomplishment with a lot of lessons learned.” For future virtual events, CUAB may consider chats or other mechanisms to allow attendees to interact with each other during the show. She added: “The amount of time the students put into this deserves accolades, and they gave UNC a really special experience.”

FDR Reminder!

Reminder that Event Services will be managing First Day of Reservations on November 5th, and that internal partners are now able to make reservations through October 23! Remember to complete 25Live training before reserving! https://heellife.unc.edu/submitter/form/start/429278

Last Chance for the Poster Sale!

One week left for a special UNC offer from our friends at Poster Invasion! Visit posterinvasion.shop and enter UNC2020 for a discount. Hundreds of great posters for your house or office are available!

COVID Testing Continues

The Union continues to be a free COVID testing site for UNC students. Please encourage students to get tested regularly (the University is recommending every 5-9 days). Tests are for students who are not showing symptoms and who have not been in close contact with a known case. Hours are 11am-5pm, M-Th and 11am-4pm Fri.

.

Kacey Takes the Lead!

After two years working at the Carolina Union, junior Kacey Johnson was promoted to the student lead position of the Administration team, where she now oversees other student employees and works closer with Marissa Rosales, the executive assistant of the Carolina Union.

Welcome to Emma and Tikiyah!

Welcome to two new student staff who are part of the Admin team! Emma Reinhardt and Tikiyah Davis share a little bit about themselves and their first semester working at the Union below. We’re so glad to have you on the team, Emma and Tikiyah!

Hi! My name is Emma Reinhardt and I am a sophomore double majoring in Applied Mathematics and Statistics, finishing the fall 2019 semester on the Dean’s List. I grew up in Pinehurst, NC, which is a little over an hour from UNC. I’ve loved having the opportunity to work at the Carolina Union this semester as part of the administrative team. I decided to work here because I knew that I would develop professional skills in an environment designed to support students, and I would learn how the Union works behind the scenes to support all of the student organizations and events across campus. Outside of work and school, I love surfing, running, and hiking (pretty much anything outdoors)!

My name is Tikiyah Davis. I’m from Raleigh, North Carolina. Currently, I am a sophomore majoring in Business Administration with a minor in Philosophy, Political Science, and Economics. I decided to work at the Union because I would have a chance to grow professionally in an environment surrounded by my peers. Not only that, I would get an opportunity to learn more about how the Union helps students be successful in their endeavors at UNC. Thus far, I’ve enjoyed working in the Administration Office. I have had the chance to meet new people and stay connected to campus during this very odd time. Outside of working at the Union, I devote my time to the Undergraduate Executive Branch of UNC Student Government. I am the Co-Chair of the First-Year Focus Council Committee. We work on various policy initiatives and events to improve the first-year experience. I enjoy traveling and spending time with my dog, friends, and family. My favorite places I’ve visited are Thailand, St. Thomas, and San Diego! Before I graduate, I hope to study abroad in Europe for a summer.

Business & Finance Keeps Up the Hard Work!

A cheer of appreciation goes out to our team in Business & Finance for their continued hard work this semester and throughout the pandemic! They have continued to provide services, support, and guidance to the Union and student organizations including revised financial and purchasing guidelines in regard to COVID-19 and have created multiple iterations of the FY21 budget!

Thank you, Jené!

The Admin team wants to thank Jené Ward from Event Services for always being a smiling face in the office and being of help whenever we need it. She’s the best!
.

.

.

.