Bonita Makes it 10!

Congratulations to Carolina Union Guest Services Manager Bonita Brown for 10 years of service at the Union! We all know Bonita as a supportive and caring colleague who brings a positive spirit that lifts all of those around her and makes life at the Union better every day.

Click here to read more about Bonita’s service to the Union and Carolina!

After a career as a customer service representative and teller at a bank, Bonita started at the Union as Box Office Assistant Manager. She has since progressed to Box Office Manager and currently Guest Services Manager. Bonita has won multiple awards for her service to the UNC community. In 2012 she was a recipient of the Student Affairs Employee Excellence Award and in 2018 she was named both the Federal Work-Study Supervisor of the year and the Carolina Union Un-song hero.
She also actively served on multiple committees at the Union and UNC including the Social Committee, the Client Appreciation Committee, and the executive committee of the Employee Forum.

We asked Bonita a few questions about her 10 years at the Union.

What do you enjoy most about your job?
Working with the students. I never know what to expect, which keeps me on my toes. Ready to pivot at any moment.

What are you looking forward to most in the coming year at your job?
With the pandemic and other things going left, I am looking forward to being back onsite and being in contact with the students, professional staff, and guests of the Union.

Can you tell us about a day when you most looked forward to coming into your job?
The first day of the semester FDOC. I look forward to seeing the returning student staff and meeting our incoming freshman’s.

How do you overcome challenges?
Most importantly, remembering to breathe. Facing the challenge head on and not procrastinating thinking it will go away.

Bonita, thank you for all you do! The Carolina Union is so lucky to have you!

Testing Available for UNC Employees!

As we head into the holiday season, please remember that free COVID testing is now available for UNC employees. Daily COVID testing will be at the R7 parking lot (725 Martin Luther King Blvd. Chapel Hill, NC 27514), Monday through Friday starting Monday, Nov. 16th, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (Closed for a one-hour lunch break).

Details can be found here: https://www.orangecountync.gov/DocumentCenter/View/13709/Optum_Covid19Flyer_R7_WeekdayTesting_ENG

They will take appointments, or you can just show up for testing. This is a great resource for UNC employees who need access to testing. This is especially important as we head into the holidays if employees are interested in taking a screening test (recommended 3-4 days) prior to travel or directly after.

Davis Makes Impact on Greek Leadership Council

As a student board member of the Southeastern Greek Leadership Council for the 2020-21 academic year, UNC junior Derrick Davis is focused on ensuring that the SGLC’s annual conference provides a forum for issues that are important to Black campus leaders.

“With everything that has happened over the summer and this year, I brought up topics that I feel should be addressed [during the conference],” Davis said. “That means getting speakers that touch on how we can serve as leaders while addressing racism.”

Davis, who is a president of the Theta Omicron Chapter of the Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., attended the SGLC conference last year, and while there saw opportunities to improve the experience for students of color, including members of National Pan-Hellenic Council and Multicultural Greek Council organizations. For example, he noticed there was a lack of vendors selling apparel with the letters of organizations from those two councils.

“The main thing is bringing perspective” Davis said of what he will bring to the SGLC Board. “I want to make sure that perspective is there, and that we are represented and keeping everyone’s best interests in mind.”

Read our full profile of Derrick and his work here: https://carolinaunion.unc.edu/news-and-events/news/kappa%E2%80%99s-davis-makes-impact-greek-leadership-council

Welcome Home, Berengére!

Congratulations to Berengére Phillips and her family on their new home in Zebulon! Looks like Scarlett has already settled right in and is making the place her own!
.
.
.

President’s Leadership Academy an FSL Success

One big success for FSL this year was the President’s Leadership Academy. The weekend program brought together leaders of UNC’s fraternities and sororities to develop intellectual, interpersonal, and emotional skills. Feedback was universally positive as data collected by FSL showed that more than 80% of participants felt better equipped to handle important chapter issues such as enacting socially responsible behaviors and developing cross-council behaviors.

Here’s what a few students had to say about their experience:

“I really enjoyed PLA, as it gave me an opportunity to really get to know the chapter presidents that I would be working with. I thought it was really cool to meet people from the other councils as well. I enjoyed the team building activities because I got to laugh and work with so many new people.”
– Grace Hawley, President, Panhellenic Council

“I attained skills that are useful not just for my chapter or organization, but that I have been able to take and carry into my day-to-day experiences. I am forever grateful for the wealth of knowledge poured into me at PLA!”
-Davonte Anthony, President, Phi Beta Sigma

I was able to be exposed to certain ideas and strategies I had never thought of, and the trip allowed us to collectively be effective leaders because of it. On top of this, the trip was kept light with multiple game and trust building exercises so it didn’t feel too intensive all weekend. Overall a great trip to meet people and learn from new perspectives, while bringing all student organizations together.”
– Matthew Spangler, President, Phi Sigma Nu

Birthdays!

A few staff members recently celebrated their big day! Send a virtual cupcake to:
• Tammy Lambert
• Keven Lewis

Work-a-versaries!

Say congratulations to the following for recently celebrating their work anniversaries:
• Yesenia Ayala
• Bonita Brown (10 years!)
• Spencer Davis
• Keven Lewis
• Damu Murray
• Charu Gunachandran